The Gifts of Sobriety - What I Didn't Know About Recovery Before I Got Sober
Oct 16, 2019
The Gifts of Sobriety
What I Didn't Know About Recovery Before I Got Sober
While I was still drinking I had no idea what it would be like to be sober. In the brief moments I contemplated not drinking, I thought all the fun would stop and I'd be sentenced to a life of misery without alcohol. My delusional thinking told me everything was just fine when in reality, I had a lot of shame about my behaviors while under the influence of alcohol. No one told me how incredible life in recovery would be.
Here are just a few of the many gifts of sobriety I didn't know which were waiting for me in recovery.
- I’d have so much fun AND remember it!
- Everything can be healed.
- Relationships with my kids would be tender and real.
- I’d be given a peace I’d never known.
- I’d learned to ask for help.
- I would never have to be alone.
- I’d have a solution to all my fears.
- I’d find a God of my understanding.
- I’d meet the most amazing friends.
- I’d learned to forgive others and myself.
- I’d find my amazing authentic self, which was buried under all my wounds, fears, and resentments.
- I’d do things I never thought I could do.
- Loneliness would subside.
- I could trust my intuition.
- I’m not a bad person I just have a really bad dis-ease called alcoholism.
- It’s ok to make mistakes.
- The only person I can change is me.
- Acceptance is the key to all my problems.
- Forgiveness is the key to freedom.
- Self-pity keeps me stuck.
- I'd learn to like and love myself.
- I’m not a victim and I always have choices.
- I do matter.
- I am enough.
- I am light and love.
- I’d be given a life beyond my wildest dreams.
As each day passes, I continue to be amazed by the gifts of sobriety I've been so blessed to receive. Everything about my life that is good is because of my sobriety.